Start your Career as an Automotive Tech in Tallahassee, FL
with Lively Technical College & The Proctor Dealerships
Did you know, the State of Florida offers an apprenticeship program for Automotive Service Technology students at Lively? This means that while the state pays tuition for apprentices in the program, they can also earn a wage working in their future fields – all from Day One!
In 2019, the Proctor Dealerships became the first dealer group in Florida to partner with the state on the Lively Tech apprentice program for Automotive Service Techs. This partnership allows apprentices to work alongside experienced and credentialed technicians in our service departments, while having their tuition paid by the state. Two current instructors at Lively Tech are former Proctor employees.
- Lively is an accredited Technical College with students receiving an Associate in the Arts degree upon completion.
- Lively accepts Florida Bright Futures Scholarships.
- Lively is also an accredited Subaru Service/Tech program.
- A National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) master certified program is offered at a fraction of the cost of programs like WyoTech or UTI.
- State of the art training facility.
- Classroom instruction with hands-on laboratory training in the troubleshooting, service, and repair of automotive systems.
- Students use the latest software, simulators, and diagnostic equipment in all phases of automotive services and electronic technologies.
- Platform for continuing education or employment.
Skills Learned Include:
- Engine repair & performance
- Automatic transmission/transaxles
- Braking systems
- Manual drivetrains/transaxles
- Suspensions/steering systems
- Heating and A/C systems
- Electrical/ electronic systems.
What You'll Learn at Lively Technical College
- Proficiently explain and apply required shop and personal safety tasks relating to the automotive industry.
- Explain and apply required tasks associated with the proper use and handling of tools and equipment relating to the automotive industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency in preparing vehicle for routine pre/post maintenance and customer services.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of drum\disc brake, hydraulics, power assist units, electronic brakes, traction control, stability control systems and miscellaneous (wheel bearings, parking brake, electrical, etc.) systems.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of front and rear suspensions systems, wheel alignment, and wheels and tires.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of electrical/electronic system components, battery, starting, charging, lighting, gauges, warning devices, driver information, horn, wiper/washer and accessory systems.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of engines, cylinder heads, valve train, engine block, lubrication and cooling systems.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of engines, ignition, fuel, air induction, exhaust, computer engine and emission control systems.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service, repair and overhaul of automatic transmissions/transaxles.
- Explain and apply proficiently the operation, assembly, diagnosis, service and repair of manual drivetrains, clutches, transmissions/transaxles, drive and half-shaft universals, constant velocity joints, rear axle differential assembly, limited slip, four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
- Explain and apply proficiently the diagnosis, service and repair of heating and air conditioning, refrigeration, compressors, compressor clutches, evaporators, receiver driers, accumulators, condensers, heating and engine cooling, related control systems, refrigerant recovery, and recycling and handling.
General Service Technician
Maintenance and Light Repair Technician
Service Writer/Customer Service Consultant
Automotive Shop Foreman
Automotive Parts Salesperson
– Vacation & sick time accruals begin at hire date and may be utilized after 90 days of employment
– Medical, dental & supplemental insurance options
– 401K Plan
– Career growth opportunities
– Paid training
– Family owned & operated since 1910
– Long term job security
– Discounts on vehicle purchase, parts and services
– Paid holidays
At the Proctor Dealerships, we believe happy employees make happy customers, and we reward individuals who are ready to work hard and stay motivated.
Program Admission Requirements
AGE: 16 years or older
TABE: MATH 10.0 LANGUAGE 9.0 READING 9.0
Or meet other basic skill requirements.
Valid driver’s license required for all students.